forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: locationmap - not finishing the pipeline
Date Sat, 04 Jun 2005 19:38:48 GMT
Tim Williams wrote:

>>>Now the problems:  1) it strips the contents from demo.xml and is
>>>essentially just a shell xml file.
>>
>>Well that isn't very helpful, I suppose we better fix that ;-)
>>
>>I have no idea how this can be happening. Are you able to confirm that
>>the file is being read from slide correctly?
>

> Well, it appears that the hello2document.xsl in the local sitemap.xmap
> is the culprit.  Probably should have figured something so simple.

Blast, sorry that should not have been in the sitemap for that matcher.
Sorry, this probably took you a while to figure out.

>>>2) it doesn't apply any skinning
>>>to it -- it just returns the xml.
>>
>>Is your request to Forrest for demo.html or demo.xml?
>

> I've got maps set up for both since I don't really understand *how*
> this is really working yet, I'm doing some serious trial and error and
> covering all bases.
> So for each, here's what i get:
>
> demo.html - what i've learned (thanks) is now the equivalent of
> body-demo.html, seems it stops processing there and never applies the
> skin.  I'm getting no errors and the core log is of no help.

I wouldn't expect that to work since you have added a matcher that will
prevent the existing matchers in Forrest from processing the request for
*.html. More below...

> demo.xml - the unprocessed, straight xml from SVN's freshsite.

OK this is good. If you remove the matcher you created for *.html then
the Forrest matcher for such patterns should be used instead, this one
does all the skinning. In other words, it should "just work"

If you haven't done so already I recommend you read
http://forrest.apache.org/docs/sitemap-ref.html this may help you
understand how this happens. Of course, it may not since it is a
technical doc that assumes a level of knowledge. It would be useful to
know how effective you feel this doc is.

Ross