forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Add support for Googles sitemap protocol?
Date Sat, 04 Jun 2005 08:21:12 GMT
Ferdinand Soethe wrote:
> This seems to makes a lot of sense in terms of better indexing and
> doesn't sound too complex to implement if we have a url-encoder
> somewhere.

Can you provide an overview of what is required with a link to more
info. I have no idea what this is.

> Although we might want to use this
> http://www.openarchives.org/OAI/openarchivesprotocol.html protocol
> which is an open standard and will be accepted by Google as well.

This is on the todo list over at Burrokeet. OAI is very important within
the research community and is growing in importance elsewhere. However,
to provide meaningful data via OAI we need extensive meta-data about the
documents available. OAI is not really about indexing web sites, it is
more about indexing and things like white-papers, research papers and
the like.

I'm not sure Forrest is ready for this yet.

> The tricky part - though more of a nice to have - is to automate
> reporting of changes to the google sitemap.

That depends on what you mean "automate reporting of changes". Do you
mean notification that a file has changed?

Without knowing anything about what the "Google sitemap" is, I am
guessing that the notification of changed files wouldn't be too hard, at
least for files in a standard file system (as opposed to a repository)
as we could use the directory generator to create a list of recently
modified files.

It would be even better if we had some way of collecting meta data.
Something that Forrest doesn't do yet (although there is the start of
some infrastructure for that).

If "reporting of changes" means providing diff that is not the job of
Forrest. That is the job of the repository. We will get this kind of
feature with the development of plugins for CMS/repositories.

Ross