forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: How to avoid hard-coding site-visible message strings in skin files
Date Thu, 02 Jun 2005 14:27:07 GMT
Pedro I. Sanchez wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-02-06 at 10:34 +0100, Ross Gardler wrote:

>>><skinlabels name="pelt">
>>>  <keyword name="lastPublished" value="???????"/>
>>>  <keyword name="copyright" value="???????"/>
>>></skinlabels>
>>
>>I don't see the value in this. I would imagine that regardless of what
>>skin you are using you would want the same values to appear in the
>>output site.
>>

> Skins will have different set of labels. "copyright" might be in all of
> them but "lastPublished" probably not. Hence the need to differentiate
> by skin name.

True. But what is the advantage of doing it this way over the other
proposal (define by language). I see a disadvantage, that is it requires
lots of duplication if we want multiple languages, whereas splitting by
language only results in the odd unused element for occasional skins/views.

Am I missing something about the use case here?

Ross