forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [JIRA] Created: (FOR-505) Allow the retrieval of raw html files
Date Thu, 02 Jun 2005 11:47:01 GMT
Ferdinand Soethe wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
>

>>Anyway, +1 for implementing it instead of  the skinHTMLSources=true
>>workaround.
>

> Pardon my ignorance but is this
>

>>A third possibility that is a marrying of the two is elements in
>>site.xml to make it much more like the Ant fileset idea, like this:
>>
>><!-- everything in old_site directory -->
>><rawContent dir="/old_site/**"/>
>>
>><!-- everything in 0.6_docs, except the forums -->
>><rawContent dir="/0.6_docs/**">
>>   <exclude name="forums/**"/>
>></rawContent>
>>
>><!-- everything in 0.6_docs, except all files in forums except the
>
> index.html file -->>
>
>><rawContent dir="/0.6_docs/**">
>>   <exclude name="forums/**"/>
>>   <exclude name="forums/**/index.html"/>
>></rawContent>
>>
>>This leaves site.xml easily readable, allows such content to be provided
>>in an external file if there is no way of generating it from another
>>type of site descriptor file and allows us to describe pages not linked
>>to in site.xml.
>

> what we are going to implement now?

Yes, if the concept can be brought to a working design. Of course that
is the hard part.

> And if so, what would it look like if I had raw content in more than
> one branch? For example could I have
>
> <rawContent dir="/old_site_1/**"/>

> <rawContent dir="/old_site_2/**"/>

Just add an element for each of the matches that represent raw content,
each with its own include and exclude patterns.

> And would I still have an additional separate entry in the sitemap to
> have /old_site_1/index.htm on the menu or would this have to be
> within the rawContent element.

Do you mean "would I still have an additional separate entry in the
*skins.xml*"?

If so, yes, there would be no need to change any other functionlaity in
Forrest.

What would happen is that when we receive a request for /old_site_1/**
the sitemap would first look in the config to see if it is raw content.
If it is it would read the content and serve it. If it isn't processing
would proceed as normal.

When I find the time I'll write up a proposal about how to implement this.

Ross