forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Accepting and managing Skin Packages (was Re: Forrest Example Sites)
Date Thu, 02 Jun 2005 10:57:56 GMT
Ferdinand Soethe wrote:

> Ross Gardler wrote:

>>I think it is the best option (apart from the views plugin).
>>We work as a community to develop one really good skin that
>>can address most needs and enables people to configure it.
>

> -1
>
> Until 'views' is available it would really help to make other peoples
> skins available. As doing so would open Forrest to a whole lot of
> people who do not have developer skills but might be able to convince
> their management to fund development if they can demo a great looking
> site like Claudia's.

(I've switched "sides" due to the comments from David and Thorsten)

If we make Claudias skin available in its current state it will cause a
problem for people wanting to convert from skins to views because she
has stated it is a heavily customised skin (parts ripped out, changes to
common etc.) The ease of upgrade between versions is very important to
keeping our users.

Thorsten has indicated that if an "old fashioned" skin has heavily
customised XSL rather than CSS enhancements the upgrade to views will be
difficult. We should not be encouraging people to use skins that will
make their upgrade path difficult.

If we are to accept Claudias skin as a donation we have to spend the
time adding her improvements into pelt and instead of ripping out
sections we should add configuration options. This may be a difficult
task that takes too long, we won't know until we see it. However, I, and
others really like the skin. I, and hopefully others, will find the time
to do this integration if they have a use case for it.

Therefore, I think the best thing is for Claudia to add the skin to the
issue tracker where, as you say elsewhere, those with time can look at
it and work with it into the "official" Forrest skin. Hopefully Claudia
will help us with this work as it will make her companies eventual
migration to views smoother, of course this is not *expected* of Claudia.

Ross