forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: documentation additions and issue tracking (Was: App vs Data) [moved from user list]
Date Thu, 02 Jun 2005 10:33:27 GMT
Ferdinand Soethe wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:

>>In my opinion what should happen is that the relevant chapter outline
>>should be ripped out of the proposal and put into SVN as XHTML documents
>>that we can point to via an URL to SVN. With our recent influx of offers
>>for help on beginner documentation this would provide a starting
>>framework for work to begin.
>

> Fine by me.
>
> My second proposal was to take that finished outline and create
> menuitems on the Forrest Website for it (under a new "Manual" tab).

> - finished pages or - pages that have just the abstract of that
>   chapter (written during outline-design) and explain that this chapter
>   still needs someone to write it and instructions on how to do that.

This is a good idea, but I recommend we wait on this second proposal
until we have the 0.8 docs in place. This will happen immediately after
the 0.7 release. I propose this because there will be very little
content, and therefore very little value for the 0.7 release.

> The goal is to give potential contributors some guidance on what is
> missing what that chapter is all about and how their contribution
> would fit into the finished manual.

We can do that in the meantime by pointing them to the viewSVN page
(that's why I propose using XHTML since they will see a rendered page
there).

Ross