forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ferdinand Soethe <samm...@soethe.net>
Subject Re: Add support for Googles sitemap protocol?
Date Sun, 05 Jun 2005 09:19:05 GMT

> The only requried information in the sitemap is the URL. This means we
> can create the Google sitemap now, with minimal effort. Over time we can
> enhance this by adding further meta-data once it becomes available.

I'm happy to go for the Google format, I just thought that our
commitment to standards would tip the balance towards OAI. Does OAI
not allow for a minimal form like Googles'?

If we go for the Google format, I'd like to suggest to use slightly
more than the minimum format in this form (as documented in
https://www.google.com/webmasters/sitemaps/docs/en/protocol.html)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<urlset xmlns="http://www.google.com/schemas/sitemap/0.84">
   <url>
      <loc>http://www.yoursite.com/catalog?item=83&amp;desc=vacation_usa</loc>
      <lastmod>2004-11-23</lastmod>
   </url>
</urlset>

and include the 'lastmod' right away as that would be the key to speedy
updates. Can we do that?

Did you see that Google wants the urls to be url encoded? Does our
XSLT-engine have a function for that?

--
Ferdinand Soethe