forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Donation of servlet control code (for Eclipse plugin)
Date Fri, 01 Jul 2005 00:11:18 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
>
> This makes the whole update site thing worthless because we will not be
> able to distribute from the Forrest site.

Sorry, i don't use Eclipse (yet) so i am not much help.

Why does it need the activation.jar to be included in our plugin?

Does Eclipse enable users to install additional supporting jars
that are then available to plugins.

How do other Eclipse plugins cope with this?

> Would it be acceptable to make the Forrest Eclipse Update site come from
> another location? I'm not sure what the legal implications of this would
> be. It is possible to force the user to agree to license terms on
> installation, so we could set it up to have both the ASF and Sun
> licenses in there.

If any site can re-distribute it then Maven would be already.
I mean, is it only the need for a license click-through that
prevents it?

> Is this one for the legal list?

Perhaps. I presume that other ASF projects already have stumbled
on this, so i would be surprised if it wasn't raised already.
Still, perhaps it is worth trying again if we cannot find another
solution.

-David