forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Welcome Anil Ramnanan - Google Summer of Code Awardee
Date Mon, 27 Jun 2005 23:11:32 GMT
Anil Ramnanan wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
>
> >So, I would like to welcome Anil Ramnanan to the Apache Forrest
> >community.
> >
> Thank you for the welcome. I look forward to working with Forrest and
> the Forrest community. Just be warned that I will be asking many
> questions. :)

That is exactly what we want. All developers should read documentation
and ask questions on the mailing lists [*].

One power of opensource is in the act of people asking well-prepared
questions. The ensuing discussion helps everybody to understand,
even those that thought they knew it all.

One key outcome of every discussion is that we must fill our
documentation lack that resulted in this need for a question.
Even if we just grab some words into a <pre> tag in an html doc,
or a url to the online discussion, or a Jira issue to remind us.
That is is an ideal, we don't do it often enough. Actually our
mail archives are a gold-mine for anyone wanting to enhance the
core documentation.

[*] Too many ill-prepared questions will waste the community time
and cause confusion in the mail archives. Please strive to be
efficient.

However, don't be frightened to ask questions. Even some totally
misguided statement will lead to enhancement.

We try to discuss everything on the relevant dev or user list.
We discourage off-list, personal discussions for various reasons:
- denies other people the chance to listen, learn, contribute;
- puts undue load on that single person: community shares load;
- leads to incomplete solutions because no group input;
- causes a vacuum in the mail archives.

Of course personal contact can be appropriate. We need to build
bonds in many ways.

-David