forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Project participation and hackability
Date Sun, 26 Jun 2005 02:04:21 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Imagine that all cutting-edge users can use the trunk in production. A
> patch is just a couple of actions away. And after incorporation, the
> check is instantaneous, and on a *real* test, as it actually get used.

I like your general drift. We should also have our own continuous
integration testing by having our own services at forrest.zones.apache.org

> This can only work if the trunk is always *usable*, and not only
> _buildable_. This can make our trunk be really bug-free, as there would
> really be a lot of eyes looking at the code.
>
> I would thus propose that the trunk be always *releaseable* at all
> times, and that all new functionality that interferes with usage of
> prior features be developed on separate branches.

I hope that you are still talking about the Branch-When-Needed system.
http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/doc/user/svn-best-practices.html

That is the closest to what we have been doing until now.

However, we are not diligent enough at the test-before-commit phase.
Forrestbot on the server would assist, but not replace that need.

We have also not been branching enough, although we have been
much better lately.

> Furthremore, these branches should merge whenever possible between them
> in a single branch so that they can be coded together, and get merged
> with the trunk only when all developer-known bugs are fixed.

> This will also make it easier for us to release often, and to learn to
> make smaller reversible changes rather than big ones that are hard to
> understand by other developers and users.

Good stuff. We must document the outcome of this thread.
There is a deliberate hole at our project guidelines because we
did not yet put this effort into deciding a good management.
http://forrest.apache.org/guidelines.html#code

-David