forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Questions about the release instructions
Date Wed, 08 Jun 2005 23:52:22 GMT
Ferdinand Soethe wrote:

> Thanks for fixing some of the docs already, David.
>
> Some questions remaining:
>
> >  - Set your Java version to be the lowest specified of our supported versions.
> >    e.g. J2SDK 1.4.0
>
> See my ealier posting on this.
>
> > - Run 'build release-dist' to generate the distributions on a UNIX machine.
> >    - Two archives are created: apache-forrest-X.Y.tar.gz apache-forrest-X.Y.zip
> >
> >  - Repeat that on a Windows machine.
> >    - Use the .tar.gz from the UNIX machine and .zip from the Windows machine.
> >    - In that way, SVN will ensure correct line-endings on all text files.
>
> This doesn't look right but I may be wrong:
>
> - Run 'build release-dist' to generate the distributions on a UNIX machine.
>   An archive apache-forrest-X.Y.tar.gz is created.
>
> - Run 'build release-dist' to generate the distributions on a Windows machine.
>   An archive apache-forrest-X.Y.zip is created.
>
> >    - Use the .tar.gz from the UNIX machine and .zip from the Windows machine.
> >    - In that way, SVN will ensure correct line-endings on all text files.
>
> Use for what? Should it be something like

The 'build release-dist' generates both archives on both systems.
When we upload the release candidates to our committer space then
we need to be absolutely sure to use the correct ones.

(Actually one enhancement to our build system would be to detect
the operating system and just generate *.tar.gz on UNIX and genrate
*.zip on Windows. However i am reluctant to touch the build system
at this stage.)

> "Use tar.gz for installing the test release on a unix machine and zip
> for installing it in Windows machines."

That is true from the users' point-of-view.
See the notes att the top of our Download page:
http://forrest.apache.org/mirrors.cgi

> >    - In that way, SVN will ensure correct line-endings on all text files.
>
> What has svn to do with it at that point?

At the point of building the release archives, doing the Windows dist (*.zip)
on Windows and the UNIX dist (*.tar.gz) on UNIX, will ensure that line-endings
are correct. SVN ensures that this is so. I enhanced the RELEASE_PROCESS.txt
to try to clarify.

> >  - Create a maintenance branch in SVN with
> >     svn copy -m "Create the x.y release branch from r#####" \
> >     https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/forrest/trunk \
> >     https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/forrest/branches/forrest_xy_branch
> >    where 'xy' is a compact form of the version (e.g. 04, 041, 05).
> >    See http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/forrest/branches/
>
> So is r###### to be replaced by the current dev-release number
> (0.7-dev).

No. It is the SVN revision number that the branch was created from.

--David