forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] A CMS for our Docs
Date Tue, 07 Jun 2005 05:34:10 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> Ferdinand Soethe wrote:
>
> >I still don't like the fact that it is online editing only but
> >perhaps I'm the only one still on a dial up line ...
>
> I don't think you are the only one. Even if you are, many of us work
> while traveling, so it is still an issue.

Until recently i was on dail-up, much of Australia still is.

I have another issue with being forced to do all editing via a
web interface. With the current method of editing the source using
whatever text-editor/xml-editor, i can be much more productive.
I use UNIX tools like find and grep to search for certain occurences
of strings (like when we had to replace all mentions of src/core/context).
I can also edit a number of documents simultaneously.

However i know that most new people don't work that way, so i suppose
that i will need to suffer the loss of such tools.

--David