forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] A CMS for our Docs
Date Mon, 06 Jun 2005 14:02:26 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> Over at Cocoon they are starting to use Daisy for their docs. I propose
> we do the same.

I have too many questions at this stage.

How will the changed content get back into our SVN?

How is the workflow managed to get the content reviewed
and then published onto the website? At the moment we
do have a workflow of sorts.

I also agree with Ferdinand. We would need a structure to
add these docs, or we end up with the un-manageable mess
that they call Wiki.

Will we see sensible diffs, so that the committers can
oversee the content or do we get the voluminous diffs
like wiki where you cannot see what has been changed?
e.g. most paragraphs are one long line, so diffs are useless.

Who will be able to add content? Anyone? Do they need to
be a committer? Do they need to be on forrest-dev?

Are the contributions assigned copyright to ASF?

I actually far prefer the current process where people
need to send patches. That way they get reviewed by a committer.

Who will manage this Daisy installation? We cannot be stuck
with one person who knows a bit about it. We would need a
management plan. Same applies if we use Lenya.

I find this very alarming. Some people at Infrastructure are
trying to get a cross-project environment established for managing
documentation tools and site-building. All PMCs were asked to
join and discuss this. Some people have, but mainly the process
has stalled again.

Instead we see projects like Cocoon rushing off to do their
own thing. Now we will get duplicate instances of Daisy/Forrest.

Sorry, i am not trying to be obstructive, just that i see too
many unanswered issues.

--David