forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Accepting and managing Skin Packages
Date Fri, 03 Jun 2005 02:18:47 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> >Ross Gardler wrote:
>
> >Why have you called this thread a Random Thought? It sounds
> >like a proposal. Be aware that people often ignore RT threads
> >until they have time to investigate, whereas proposals need
> >the attention of committers.
>
> Because there are a number of options available and I am sure I missed
> some. Furthermore, with the move to views in 0.8 this "proposal" may be
> seen as a waste of time.

I reckon that that is exactly what a Proposal is. Other
options will come out during the discussion, some will
be shown to be ineffective. At the end of the Proposal
discussion we will probably already have the final solution.

> >>2. We make all non-core skins available via a skins sub project within
> >>Forrest
> >>
> >>In this instance we would create a new project for contributed skins.
> >>Anyone donating a skin will automatically get commit access to this
> >>sub-project (but not to Forrest itself).
> >>
> >>I am +1 for this if it is possible within the Apache Infrastructure. It
> >>ensures that there will be at least one person with commit access with a
> >>vested interest in maintaining the skin and in applying any contributed
> >>patches.
> >>
> >>Does the way our SVN is set up allow this?
> >
> >This option does not absolve us from needing to oversee
> >all the commits and collaborate to keep the skin maintained.
> >
> >It is my opinion that the Forrest project is not yet ready
> >to cope with the extra work of overseeing people who are
> >not interested in the Forrest project itself.
>
> My intention was to have a lower barrier to entry for committers working
> on skins. These are the kinds of developers who will take an active
> interest in views.
>
> It is possible to work on skins without knowing the internals of
> Forrest, this will also be true of views once we get time to assist
> Thorsten in finishing them off. As these developers become more familiar
> with Forrest as a whole they may eventually become full committers.
>
> >As far as i know, the ASF is still geared towards having
> >full committers. This concept of partial committer i have
> >not heard of before, other than some discussions here at
> >Forrest when we were establishing our project guidelines
> >to be sure to enable that possibility in the future.
>
> OK, I thought that would be the case, so this is not an option.

This is a great idea that we have talked about in the past.
When the dust has settled after releasing 0.7 we can
work towards eanbling that.

--David