forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Diwaker Gupta <diwakergu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [views] forrest:contracts - naming convention
Date Thu, 09 Jun 2005 08:23:11 GMT
> Diwaker asked me once about the naming conventions the contracts should
> follow. I believe I never gave you an answer.

no problemas :)

> Now leather-dev is based on this contracts. I reckon you can remember
> the discussion about leather/scale-dev where we agreed that the designer
> needs design hooks (absolute positioning is too limiting). ...and the
> work on views finally started. ;-)

I agree. However, I think we should clearly identify *who* is it that
we are targeting the contracts for? Note that the end-user never knows
about contracts. It is the skin designer who has to know the
contracts. I am with you in setting up a standard for naming
conventions, but I think the naming should reflect the content *in
context* of the designer.

> For example I want to rename "pdf-link" to "content-pdf" because it
> describes better the functionality of the contract. Now writing this
> line I realized that "content-main-pdf" would describe this contract
> even better, because the outcome pressing the link will be the main
> content in pdf-format.

To make my point clear, consider the same pdf-link example. As a skin
designer, I need to know what this contract will do for me. Now this
particular contract will put a _link_ to the _pdf_. When I'm designing
the skin, that is more important to me, than knowing that when the
link is pressed, the main content opens up in PDF -- that is something
for the end-user.

So IMHO, pdf-link is actually a good name, because it says exactly
what it does -- "if you include me in your view, i will output a link
to the pdf"

> I need some input about renaming the contracts to follow the simple rule
> "contract name expresses the functional output of the contract"

Precisely. The "pdf-link" contract's functionality is generating a
link to the pdf. Just my 2 cents :)

But I'm not too picky about names. If there is a consensus on any one
naming scheme, I'm mostly fine with it.

--
Diwaker Gupta
http://resolute.ucsd.edu/diwaker