forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ferdinand Soethe <samm...@soethe.net>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] A CMS for our Docs
Date Mon, 06 Jun 2005 11:58:09 GMT

Ross Gardler wrote:

> Ferdinand Soethe wrote:

>> As far as new docs are concerned, it would be nice if we could provide
>> a basic structure for new docs to snap in. The ability to freely add
>> new docs in my experience leads to a maze rather then a web of
>> documentation and is not soo desirable or helpful.

> Are you volunteering? I'm not, but I agree with your intent.

I'd certainly help. Although - given my addiction to frequent kayaking
trips - this is really a task for a group who will back up one
another. Unless you are planning to implement a release workflow so
that new additions can be checked as time permits.

>> - can we still write documents off-line and upload them into the
>>   daisy-system? If so, what input format would be required?

> The yes is you could write the content in your favourite editor then
> paste it into the the editor. However, this would walk all over the
> version control stuff in Daisy. I you need to work this way then you
> need SVN.

This is definitely a weak point as it excludes people who have no
cheap permanent internet connection.

> It wouldn't be a problem for new documents though.

Might be good enough. The only remaining problem are problems requiring
extensive editing. I'd not be happy to have to do that online.

I think we need to think some more about this ...

--
Ferdinand Soethe