forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ferdinand Soethe <samm...@soethe.net>
Subject Re: Retirement of docs (Re: New documentation structure, next steps)
Date Tue, 14 Jun 2005 09:54:34 GMT

Ross Gardler wrote:

> It is a good idea to clearly mark deprecated DTD's. In fact I would go a
> step further and say we move them to a deprecatedDTD plugin. This would
> be an internal plugin. This would leave only active DTD's in core so new
> users will not be tempted to use deprecated ones.

Certainly worth consideration.

> However, it is not as simple as it may sound. For example, document1.3
> extends document 1.2 which extends document 1.1, therefore for document
> 1.3 we need all earlier versions. It would therefore seem that the first
> step would be to do as you propose, move the earlier DTD's into a
> deprecated folder and think about the next step later.

Yes, I figured that we have more important issues to program so I took
a simple solution. Besides, this solution would be more general and
could also be applied to old howtos such as the one on CVS-SSH.
(Although we could donate that to projects still using CVS :-))

--
Ferdinand Soethe