forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ferdinand Soethe <ferdin...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] merge locationmap branch with trunk
Date Mon, 27 Jun 2005 06:23:12 GMT

Ross Gardler wrote:

> Why do I want to automate it? Because I'd like (meaning it is my itch)
> to have the build target site do things like ask the user for the
> project name and other config values. Thus the various config files that
> the user needs to edit to get started are already customised for them.
> Some of these questions are different for skins than they are for views
> (skins = what skin? Which search box? where put it? etc., views = which
> default view? which CSS? etc.)

> Now look what you made me do, I almost created this already, I may as
> well copy it into the locationmap branch now. What do you think?

I think this wizzard is great and will be very helpful when setting up
a new Forrest. But please keep it optional. I'd hate to
have to click myself through a million of defaults.

> Someone mentioned that a while back and I played around with using
> ant's input and replaceregexp but I later removed it because it's a
> pain if you just want to quickly seed a new site for testing.  The
> lesson learned is that if it's interactive it should also have a
> non-interactive mode too -- which I didn't do.  I like the idea of the
> questions, file locations, and regexp's to the properties where the
> answers should go in the files being defined in a "module" outside of
> forrest.build.xml so that the interrogation could be customized.

Best way to do this in my view would be to have an automated mode that
uses the default values for all your questions and does not ask any
questions (keeps the automated and manual modes very much in sync)
with an alternative input from a file.

--
Ferdinand Soethe