forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ferdinand Soethe <samm...@soethe.net>
Subject Questions about the release instructions
Date Tue, 07 Jun 2005 14:18:07 GMT

I have read the release process instructions and have a lot of
questions (I quote the whole file to preserve context).

Ferdinand

>                             Forrest Release Process
>                           ============================
>

> This file documents the steps a release manager should follow when making a new
> Forrest release.
>
> Preparations
> ------------
>
>  - Ensure that as many PMC members as possible have their PGP keys in
>    the KEYS file.
>
>  - Ensure that there are no copyright issues. The committers and PMC would
>    have been continually monitoring this. There are some tools to assist
>    with scanning for issues, e.g.
>    svn://committers/relicense/src/perl/relicense.txt
>    svn://committers/tools/
>
> Building the distribution
> -------------------------
>
>  - Edit build.xml and replace the '-dev' text with '' i.e. nothing:
>    around line 35:
>    <property name="version" value="0.7-dev"/>
>    to:
>    <property name="version" value="0.7"/>
>
>  - Edit status.xml, remove the -dev from the current <release> tag,
>    and set the release date.  Also add a new <release> for development
>    on the next version  e.g. from:
>
>     <release version="0.7-dev" date="not yet released">
>    to:
>     <release version="0.8-dev" date="not yet released">
>     </release>
>     <release version="0.7" date="2002-02-13">
>
>  - Edit main/forrest.build.xml to update the version tag to remove "-dev".
>    There are two occurences:
>    around line 29:
>    <property name="version" value="0.7-dev"/>
>                                       ^^^^
>
>     around line 52:
>     <description>
>     |                 Forrest Site Builder                  |
>     |                        0.7-dev                        |
>                                 ^^^^
>
>  - Create a new file, etc/RELEASE-NOTES-x.y.txt, where x.y is the version
>    currently being released.  It is best to copy an earlier RELEASE-NOTES file,
>    to keep a common layout.
>    In this file, provide a summary of changes, and check for general accuracy.
>    Scan the status.xml/changes and the Roadmap via the issues tracker,
>    to find the important issues.

Ross: Is this the part that you have automated? If so, can you pls
provide me with new instructions.

>  - Check out a fresh copy from SVN to make sure you have no local modifications,
>    especially those that might be hidden by svn:ignore settings.  Alternatively,
>    run 'svn st --no-ignore' and delete any extra files.

I don't understand this step.

- Wouldn't this have to come as a very first step before the
  I start editing the release numbers?

- When do I commit the changes to the release numbers?

- what exactly is to be done?

  = run 'svn st --no-ignore'
  = delete any extra files. What extra files?

>  - Set your Java version to be the lowest specified of our supported versions.

Where is the definitive info on the supported versions? The FAQ says
we need Java 1.4 or better. Does that mean it has to be 1.4.0 or can
it be 1.4.x

How do I 'set my java' to it? Install and adjust environment settings?
Which ones are required?

>  - Run 'build release-dist' to generate the distributions.
>    - Two archives are created: apache-forrest-X.Y.tar.gz apache-forrest-X.Y.zip

I only have a windows machine. So this step needs to be done on what?
Linux, Unix, ???

>  - Repeat that on a Windows machine.
>    - Use the .tar.gz from the UNIX machine and .zip from the Windows machine.
>    - In that way, SVN will ensure correct line-endings on all text files.

>  - Understand how to sign releases and generate MD5 and PGP.
>    http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/SigningReleases

>  - Create a maintenance branch in SVN with
>     svn copy -m "Create the x.y release branch from r#####" \
>     https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/forrest/trunk \
>     https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/forrest/branches/forrest_xy_branch            what
does r##### stand for. A variable?

>    where 'xy' is a compact form of the version (e.g. 04, 041, 05).
>    See http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/forrest/branches/
>
>  - Test the actual distribution on various platforms.
>    - Upload the release candidates and signatures to a committer's webspace.
>    - Ask all developers to test (command-line, run, and webapp).
>    - Each developer can do 'build release- dist' and test locally.
>      Coordinate to ensure that each is using the same SVN revision
>      and that the MD5 sums match.

How is this to be coordinated?

>    - Follow the actual user instructions in README.txt and index.html
>    - Use it to build some difficult sites.

Which sites are difficult? Are we

>    - Ensure that the compressed archives will unpack correctly.
>
>  - If everything looks okay, and after the Vote has finished, tag SVN with
>     svn copy -m "Create tag forrest_xy from release branch" \
>     https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/forrest/branches/forrest_xy_branch \
>     https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/forrest/tags/forrest_xy
>    where 'xy' is a compact form of the version (e.g. 04, 041, 05).
>    See http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/forrest/tags/
>
> Upload and announcement
> -----------------------
>
>  - Upload the tarballs, the *.asc and *.md5 files, **and the RELEASE-NOTES**
>    to www.apache.org at /www/www.apache.org/ dist/forrest/

how to I upload (technically)
what are tarballs? The tar-archves.
why not also upload the zip-files?

>    Each PMC member has a server account and belongs to the forrest group.
>    The process is documented at http://www.apache.org/~bodewig/mirror.html
>    Ensure correct file permissions: chgrp forrest; chmod 664

I guess this means 'issue these commands'?
Create a new directory and then?

>    Leave the previous dist there as well, until after the announcement.
>
>    Note: The other files there (HEAD.html README.html LICENSE.txt KEYS)
>    are all automatically updated from the SVN:forrest/dist/ repository.
>
>  - If necessary, re-arrange stuff at the Archives site
>    http://archive.apache.org/dist/forrest/
>    You should not need to touch anything, the artifacts are automatically
>    copied from the main /dist/forrest/

     How do I know it is 'necessary'?
     How is it to be rearranged.

>  - Wait for the various mirrors to pick up the new files.
>    For some mirrors, this takes only a few hours. However others are slow.
>    How long to wait is a tradeoff.
>    See "Status of mirrors" http://www.apache.org/mirrors/
>
>  - Edit the forrest/site-author/content/xdocs/mirrors.ihtml

     doing what?

>  - Edit the Forrest home page in the "News and events" section.

     doing what?

>  - Rebuild and publish the Forrest website as normal.

     doing what?

> FIXME: There is a bug (FOR-300) in the forrest build which generates
> to main/site/mirrors.html instead of build/site/mirrors.html
>
>  - On the server, remove the top-level files and "docs" and "howtwo"
>    directories using 'svn rm', then checkout the new release docs, e.g.
>    cd /www
>    svn co http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/forrest/site/0.7 forrest.apache.org

     which server, which directory?

>  - Edit xml-site/src/documentation/content/xdocs/news.xml and record the
>    announcement, and then commit the new HTML to xml-site/targets/forrest
>    Note that they use forrest-0.6 to build their website.

     I don't understand this part at all.

>  - Send announcement email.  Typically this is sent as:
>    To: dev@forrest.apache.org, user@forrest.apache.org, announce@apache.org,
>        announcements@xml.apache.org
>    Subject: [Announce] Apache Forrest X.Y.Z
>      !! Always refer them to the mirror facility
>      !! Never mention the URL www.apache.org/ dist/ in email.
>    Use the template at etc/announcement.txt
>    Use your spelling checker!
>
> See previous announcements:
> 0.2   http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-apache-announce&m=103746673310573
> 0.3   http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-apache-announce&m=104399934113331
> 0.4   http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=jakarta-announce&m=104510734501302
> 0.5   http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-apache-announce&m=106352706005681
> 0.5.1 http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-apache-announce&m=106541447606765
> 0.6   http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-apache-announce&m=109784461425740
>
>  - Do the Freshmeat announcement:
>    http://freshmeat.net/projects/forrest/
>
> Cleanups
> --------
>
>  - Edit build.xml, increment the version and add a -dev tag:
>    around line 35:
>    <property name="version" value="0.8-dev"/>
>
>  - Edit main/forrest.build.xml and update the version:
>
>    around line 29:
>    <property name="version" value="0.8-dev"/>
>
>     around line 52:
>     <description>
>     |                 Forrest Site Builder                  |
>     |                        0.8-dev                        |
>
>  - Remove the old dist files from the dist/forrest/ directory.
>    It has already been archived at archives.apache.org

     where is this dist directory?
     What does 'It has already been archived at archives.apache.org'
     want to tell me?

>  - Tweak the "release" versions via "admin" interface at our Jira.

   What is the goal, how is it done?