forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <thors...@apache.org>
Subject Re: packaging views - how's it work?
Date Sun, 12 Jun 2005 22:11:35 GMT
On Sun, 2005-06-12 at 22:23 +0100, Ross Gardler wrote:
> Tim Williams wrote:
> > I've taken my first look at views and this is great stuff.  One thing
> > I don't grasp is how they're "packaged" in the same way that skins
> > are.  It seems that if I create customizations in
> > {project-dir}\src\documentation\resources\templates\*.fv or even
> > FORREST_HOME\build\plugins\org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.viewHelper.xhtml\resources
> > then I'd want to be able to offer those up to someone else in the same
> > way that skins can be.  Without a subdirectory for a each named view,
> > I dont' understand how that happens?  Would one just implement another
> > viewXYZ / viewHelperXYZ plugin combo?
>
>  From what I can see there is currently no packaging system for views.

It is only a matter to implement it. ;-) Actually it will be quit simple
as soon as I will experiment in the locationmap branch with the
project.view.skin property in forrest.properties that we talk about the
other day.

> This is one of my must-haves. But I've not brought it up yet, because
> I'm still only just starting to explore.

Just speak up. ;-) Like I said I will implement that in the loctionmap
branch soon.

> Remember, views are still in the whiteboard. They are quite incomplete
> still (excellent, but incomplete).

In terms of what they can do, totally agree. It is a prototype
implementation till the day we make some major design refactoring
decision of the "under the hood". It is *only* implemented in html. I
would like a view package. ...I can go on and on.

Bottom line IMO views will only leave the whiteboard till it do not
depend on leather anymore, supports skin packages and I like to see
another format as well supporting views.

> After 0.7 is out, I would like to see
> views and the locationmap stuff come into trunk almost immediately.

I see this branch as well as integrating branch where locationmap and
views will grow together and up.

> Then
> we can really get to grips with this brand new feature views) and old,
> but unused feature (locationmap).

I had a quick look into it and I am working on the edit link example for
lenya. Thanks for the awesome setup. :)

--
thorsten

"Together we stand, divided we fall!"