forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <>
Subject Re: [RT] IRC vs. Skype
Date Sat, 11 Jun 2005 15:31:02 GMT
On Sat, 2005-06-11 at 14:49 +1000, David Crossley wrote:
> Thanks for raising this issue Thorsten. It definitely is an issue
> that needs careful attention and probably more discussion. I also
> agree with the subsequent replies. (I don't have much time now,
> concentrating on the release.) Don't worry, i am not reacting nor
> getting defensive, just responding.

Thanks for that reply. I as well will give just a short reply because I
want to keep on writing the howto's.

Indeed I did not indented to press someone in the role of defending
skype or IRC. I should be more careful with my side remarks, people may
misunderstand them (I am sorry if they did).

I just read in many mails something about skype conversation and I agree
with you that we need to address this.

We said it is more efficient to use skype for:
1) setup of committer to get started
2) task coordination between a team  (task-force) that is doing a
special task

The rule for any other medium besides the ml is that all results or
decisions have to go to the ml, as only official medium for

> Yesterday was the first time that i ever used Internet telephony.
> I installed it explicity so that Ferdinand and i could work quickly
> through the detail of the release process. (I do also need it for
> the upcoming ApacheCon to phone home.) Don't worry, we know the need
> for discussing most things on the list, so as to include the community.

I know and I +1 for this kind of communication. Like you said it is much
more efficient to use the phone for communicating about such task. I
also know that you will always record the results and send them to the

> We needed to ensure that we were each comfortable with the process.
> You saw the commits to etc/RELEASE_PROCESS.txt file. We did also
> have some problem-solving to do. We need to do a branch experiment to
> solve the docs layout issue which has been discussed ad infinitum
> on the list, and on which i have spent a lot of personal time.

Yeah I saw and +1 for the decision do experiment in a new branch. ...and
thx to you and ferdinand for doing the release.

> Email would have been too inefficient. Internet telephony was perfect.

> Like Gregor, we also used it to talk through the setup of Ferdinand's
> ASF committer account. We logged in together and made sure everything
> was okay.
> So skype certainly has its situations where it is useful. I reckon
> that it is not a matter of IRC versus skype, they both have their
> benefits when used appropriately.

> Now on to the issue of an IRC channel for Forrest. In the recent
> dev list discussion, we decided to hold a virtual meeting once
> per month on IRC. The details are in the archives.
> Here is an idea ...
> This would be an appropriate use of IRC solely for that 24-hour
> window. We could automatically tell people that it is being
> logged when they enter the room. Then we could review the log
> during the subsequent weeks, and bring any issues into the light
> of the list.
> Is it possible to close the channel at other times? In that way,
> we don't give the impression that there is an additional communication
> medium constantly available. We also don't have stacks of IRC logs
> to wade through. If people wanted to informally chat, then they could
> use some other channel.
> Not sure if that is possible - i am new to IRC and only participated
> on the old Cocoon FirstFriday sessions.

I would go with Nicola and Gregor, to use common resources that would
leverage the administration and setup of such a system. I reckon lenya
would happily meet in a #cocoon-federation channel, that would be
meeting point for cocoon, lenya and forrest committer.

...again thanks for this response, David.

"Together we stand, divided we fall!"
Hey you (Pink Floyd)

View raw message