forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <thors...@apache.org>
Subject [views] forrest:contracts - naming convention
Date Thu, 09 Jun 2005 01:45:27 GMT
Hello devs, hello Diwaker,

I was in the middle of writing my last how-to about views. When starting
to write this mail, I was writing about the names of the contracts.

Diwaker asked me once about the naming conventions the contracts should
follow. I believe I never gave you an answer.

sorry, I was busy applying your patches. ;-)

I had a chat today about this topic on irc #oscom. It was about a
presentation I gave on the last OSCOM4.
http://www.oscom.org/midcom-serveattachmentguid-f37d6742f42270964a9fa628d43e45aa/oscom4.naming.conventions.pdf

The presentation was about naming convention. A naming convention is an
attempt to systematize names in a field so they unambiguously convey
similar information in a similar manner.

The idea is to create a basic standard for the naming of div elements
for CMS systems. That will make it possible to import/export the content
between different cms in an efficient way.

Now leather-dev is based on this contracts. I reckon you can remember
the discussion about leather/scale-dev where we agreed that the designer
needs design hooks (absolute positioning is too limiting). ...and the
work on views finally started. ;-)

Please see [1] and I guess it is time again that we discuss the
contracts that we have now in the light of this document. ...because
there are a couple of elements that need renaming in [1] and our
contracts.

I would like to change the naming of a couple (nearly all) contracts
that we have now. Before doing this I would like to hear your thoughts.

For example I want to rename "pdf-link" to "content-pdf" because it
describes better the functionality of the contract. Now writing this
line I realized that "content-main-pdf" would describe this contract
even better, because the outcome pressing the link will be the main
content in pdf-format.

I need some input about renaming the contracts to follow the simple rule
"contract name expresses the functional output of the contract"

WDYT?

salu2

[1]
http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/forrest/trunk/main/webapp/skins/leather-dev/contracts.inicial.txt