forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <thors...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Why using views - in comparison with "old fashion" skins - usecase i18n.
Date Sun, 05 Jun 2005 15:52:38 GMT
On Sun, 2005-06-05 at 14:37 +0100, Ross Gardler wrote:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> > hello devs,
> >
> > I just work on the i18n integration for pelt and crossed again the whys
> > for using views. ;-)
>
> This mail makes for a pretty good piece of documentation.

:) It explains a wee bit better what I am doing to create the
contracts. ;-)

> A number of times over the last couple of weeks I have wanted to write a
> mail asking you to write some user level documentation for views. You
> see, I keep finding a few minutes to play with new stuff and Views is
> one of the things I keep starting up and looking at. However, I never
> get past looking at it.
>
> The reason is that I am thoroughly confused by the huge amount of RT's
> that have been posted on this subject. It currently seems to me that
> views are the solution to eveything. This makes it really difficult for
> me to get started. So I was going to ask you to write a simple How-To on
> creating a new contract, and then embedding it in my own site.

Yeah I can understand that. Did you see
whiteboard/plugins/org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.viewHelper.xhtml/src/documentation/content/xdocs/index.xml

I will extend that with this RT and write a howto.

> As I say, I have resisted asking you to do this because I know I have
> very little time for views until 0.7 is released, all my none payed for
> time is currently spent on the 0.7 release. However, this RT is *almost*
> the how to I want to see so perhaps I should be brave enough to ask.

:)

> Is there any chance you can move the *user* relevant parts into a How-To
> for views? It doesn't matter if it is not complete, just something that
> will enable poor old me to get past the confusion of "views does
> everything" to views does "this nice simple task like this".

Yeah I will extend as well the part of using basic forrest:views for
writing view configs.

> Maybe my poor little brain can catch up with you then :-)

I need as well to write some slides for the upcoming workshop about
views. How did you do it again within forrest. ;-)

> Thanks,
> Ross

salu2
--