forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <thors...@apache.org>
Subject Re: How to avoid hard-coding site-visible message strings in skin files
Date Thu, 02 Jun 2005 17:30:28 GMT
On Thu, 2005-06-02 at 13:12 -0400, Pedro I. Sanchez wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-02-06 at 15:27 +0100, Ross Gardler wrote:
> > Pedro I. Sanchez wrote:

> > > Skins will have different set of labels. "copyright" might be in all of
> > > them but "lastPublished" probably not. Hence the need to differentiate
> > > by skin name.
> >
> > True. But what is the advantage of doing it this way over the other
> > proposal (define by language). I see a disadvantage, that is it requires
> > lots of duplication if we want multiple languages, whereas splitting by
> > language only results in the odd unused element for occasional skins/views.
> >
> You say right, "If we want multiple languages". But in the current
> setting of supporting a single language, even if it is not English, then
> the skin-based approach could make sense. And as I said before,
> uni-lingual web sites are by far more common than multi-lingual ones.
>
> But I have no problem with the i18n-based approach as long as I can
> manually specify the target language. I'm just trying to avoid having to
> rely on the i18n framework to get a solution going.
>
> I don't have the insight into the development effort that this implies
> since I am new to Forrest. But certainly, if this would mean a
> duplication of work then it is a bad suggestion.
>
> > Am I missing something about the use case here?
>
> Not at all. My motivation for the skin-based suggestion is just to make
> it available without having to plugin into the i18n stuff which is alien
> to me. It just seems to be a small improvement over the current
> uni-lingual Forrest code.
>
> But certainly, if i18n is the way to go, or the "views" thing you
> mentioned before, then I'm all for it. I'm just thinking about
> possibilities.

Hola Pedro,

I can understand that i18n scares you a bit but I reckon it is the
simplest solution. If you are willing to finish my job I will start it
for the "old fashion" skins with the setup of sitemap, *one/two* props
and you would finish the work. We are talking about 3 -6 stylesheets (3
common/3 pelt) where you need to add <i18n:text>Published</i18n> and
then add this key in the message catalog. I do not have enough time to
finish that but if you want I add a patch to the issue and you can
finish it.

salu2
--
thorsten