forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Pedro I. Sanchez" <psanc...@colcan.biz>
Subject Re: How to avoid hard-coding site-visible message strings in skin files
Date Thu, 02 Jun 2005 17:12:12 GMT
On Thu, 2005-02-06 at 15:27 +0100, Ross Gardler wrote:
> Pedro I. Sanchez wrote:

> >>I don't see the value in this. I would imagine that regardless of what
> >>skin you are using you would want the same values to appear in the
> >>output site.
> >>

> > Skins will have different set of labels. "copyright" might be in all of
> > them but "lastPublished" probably not. Hence the need to differentiate
> > by skin name.
>
> True. But what is the advantage of doing it this way over the other
> proposal (define by language). I see a disadvantage, that is it requires
> lots of duplication if we want multiple languages, whereas splitting by
> language only results in the odd unused element for occasional skins/views.

You say right, "If we want multiple languages". But in the current
setting of supporting a single language, even if it is not English, then
the skin-based approach could make sense. And as I said before,
uni-lingual web sites are by far more common than multi-lingual ones.

But I have no problem with the i18n-based approach as long as I can
manually specify the target language. I'm just trying to avoid having to
rely on the i18n framework to get a solution going.

I don't have the insight into the development effort that this implies
since I am new to Forrest. But certainly, if this would mean a
duplication of work then it is a bad suggestion.

> Am I missing something about the use case here?

Not at all. My motivation for the skin-based suggestion is just to make
it available without having to plugin into the i18n stuff which is alien
to me. It just seems to be a small improvement over the current
uni-lingual Forrest code.

But certainly, if i18n is the way to go, or the "views" thing you
mentioned before, then I'm all for it. I'm just thinking about
possibilities.

--
Pedro