forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] remove views from forrest (Re: Views as a Domain Specific Language)
Date Tue, 31 May 2005 22:44:17 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:

> Again, this is not meant as a criticism, it is an observation. I made
> the observation because Gregor had clearly found himself in the middle
> of one of these *seemingly* complex examples and it was ringing alarm
> bells for him. He was quite rightly asking should he turn them off or
> was there a real issue.
>
> The example in question is:
>
> <forrest:views xmlns:forrest="http://apache.org/forrest/templates/1.0"
>      xmlns:logic="http://apache.org/forrest/logic/1.0">
>   <logic:filter value="dirCut" parameter="p">
>      <forrest:view format="inx" />
>   </logic:filter>
>   <logic:filter value="actorCut" parameter="p">
>      <forrest:view format="inx" />
>   </logic:filter>
>
> This has a "logic" namespace, I believe it is that namespace that
> started alarm bells ringing. The term logic implies there is programming
> in this config file. Now I do know enough about views to know you are
> not doing programming in their config files, but Gregor (I assume) does
> not know this yet. I was trying to reassure him, but in the process I
> seem to have upset you. Sorry.

indeed, the logic in there was a large part of my alarm bells. i brought
this up because there has been a lot of talk about plugins / lenya
resource types and how they could interact / share, and views seem to be
a crucial part for this (very desirable) feature.

i wanted to make sure views solve more problems than they create ;)

> I'm sorry that you took my original mail as being criticism of your
> excellent work. It was not intended as personal comment, only
> reassurance to Gregor that his concerns were, in my opinion, unfounded.

it seems the community is now tackling the concerns that i had, which is
very good.

-gregor