forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ferdinand Soethe <samm...@soethe.net>
Subject [Proposal] Forrest Terminology
Date Mon, 09 May 2005 11:39:04 GMT

Whenever I start explaining Forrest, I stumble into the problem of
crossing terminology borders, using terms like 'build', 'compile',
'run' for the Forrest program and at the same time applying them to
Forrest projects.

If this is not just my ignorance about the proper terms, can we
perhaps try and define a terminology that makes it easier to know
whether the instruction

        'after that run Forrest'

        means

        - 'execute a "Forrest run" from the commandline'
           or
        - 'execute "Forrest" from the commandline'

Or whether

        'after that re-build your forrest'

        means that I should rebuild the Java sources or run Forrest to
        rebuild the static pages.

I find this extremely frustrating because you either have to assume
that a user will know what to do from context or you have to use
unpleasantly detailed wording to be sure they get it right.

If nobody objects, I'd be happy to suggest some changes to fix these
conflicts.

--
Ferdinand Soethe