forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Skins
Date Fri, 27 May 2005 18:38:13 GMT
Tim Williams wrote:
> I just added a simple patch but it got me thinking that maybe there
> should be a little "skininfo.xml" in each skin directory where the
> current status of the skin could be pulled vs. maintained in
> skinlist2echo.  I see the skin-1.xml hanging out with testskin1 and 2
> but don't really understand how that works and if it could be adapted
> to existing skins.

That's for the skin download mechanism

http://forrest.apache.org/docs/skin-package.html

As I mentioned on the user list the plugin system works in the same way.
Unfortunately the code is largely duplicated between the two.

I've been musing over having a plugin.xml file in the plugins that would
be used to build the plugins.xml file (in other words, exactly what you
propose for skins). The plugins system is a little more mature than the
skins system, not in age but in debugging and use.

Perhaps the way forward is to add this functionality to plugins and then
to rebuild the skin download mechanism with the improvements that are
present in the plugin mechanism. I would like to encourage the
availability of third party skins (which was Nicolas intention when he
created the skin packaging system). Recently I came across
http://oswd.org/ which should give you an idea of what we hope skin
packages will become.

If you agree this is a good approach we can discuss how best to sit in
with the plugin system and later look at getting it into skins. If you
want to work the other way around that is fine by me, whatever itches
you the most.

Ross