forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [JIRA] Created: (FOR-505) Allow the retrieval of raw html files
Date Wed, 25 May 2005 15:12:35 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
>>View the issue:
>>  http://issues.cocoondev.org//browse/FOR-505
>>
>>Here is an overview of the issue:
>>        Key: FOR-505
>>       Type: Improvement

>>    Project: Forrest
>>   Versions:
>>             0.7-dev
>>
>>   Assignee:
>>   Reporter: Ross Gardler
>>
>>    Created: Tue, 24 May 2005 3:53 PM
>>    Updated: Tue, 24 May 2005 3:53 PM

>>With the merging of the raw content directory and the xdocs directory it is no longer
possible to retrieve the raw, unprocessed version of an HTML file.

>>The raw HTML files were removed from the fresh-site in revision 178279. When we have
added support for raw HTML files back into the system we should revive these files as a demo.

> Argh, i was afraid that the change to the way content was processed
> was going to cause a problem. That is an important change which is
> going to bust some projects.

The issue was raised (by Nicola I believe) before the change was made,
but there was no -1 just verbal objections, then the change got made.

If you believe it will break some sites (and it sure could) we could
implement a "hack" solution for 0.7 and then resolve it properly in 0.8
with per page configs.

People using 0.7-dev will already have been stung by this and so we need
not worry about them.

People using 0.6 will have been using the "ihtml" extension for embedded
content. This is now deprecated but still works so their embedded
content is not the problem. It is raw html that they are serving that is
the issue.

We could add a new skinconf property to define the behaviour for *.html
files in xdocs we can tell people affected by this issue to make their
embedded content ihtml and their raw content html. i.e.

<!-- HTML files in the XDoc directory can  wither be passed unprocessed
to the client, or they can be skinned like any other content. If you set
this setting to false, you can include skinned files by giving them the
ihtml extension. -->

<skinHTMLSources>true</skinHTMLSources>

The result is, setting skinHTML to false will give the same behaviour as
0.6 We could make this the default in order to minimise the upgrade
behaviour.

Slightly offtopic: this actually "feels" like a pretty good solution
since we will be able to write skins that do things like put a banner on
the top of a "non-skinned" page:

<skinHTMLSources>tabsOnly</skinHTMLSources>

Ross