forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Splitting build and output directories (was Re: [Proposal] Forrest Terminology)
Date Wed, 11 May 2005 12:14:35 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> Ferdinand Soethe wrote:
>
>> Ross Gardler wrote:
>>

>>> Ferdinand Soethe wrote:
>

> [OT: we've started getting duplicates of your mais]
>
>>  >> Doesn't webapp contain logfiles that you want to look at?
>>

>>> Yes it does. It'll be difficult for us to find the right dividing line.
>>> The way I was thinking was that if a document is generated for use
>>> outside the Forrest environment then it should go into this "output"
>>> directory you are proposing (i.e. static pages and war file). This will
>>> mean there is only one directory to copy, no need to "learn" which one.
>>

>> I see a problem there because you'd mix log files from dynamic serving
>> with static output. But we could have the log files remain in the
>> serverspace and perhaps later on find a cocoon way of serving them as
>> part of the active site.
>

> Exactly, that is my point. I do not believe the log files should be
> moved out of the build directory.

Sorry I just reread your point (must have a residual effect from last
nights whiskey), let me respond again:

The issue of mixing dynamic content with static content is my point. I
do not believe we should move the log files out of the build directory.

With resepct to your second point, having forrest serve them as a part
of the site is possible, but it only makes sense in a dynamically
generated site. Again this would indicate it should be in the build
directory.

(incidentally, the log plugin in whiteboard could be used to provide a
pretty version of the logs in a dynamically hosted site)

Ross