forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Splitting build and output directories (was Re: [Proposal] Forrest Terminology)
Date Wed, 11 May 2005 12:07:38 GMT
Ferdinand Soethe wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
>

>>Ferdinand Soethe wrote:

[OT: we've started getting duplicates of your mais]

>  >> Doesn't webapp contain logfiles that you want to look at?
>

>>Yes it does. It'll be difficult for us to find the right dividing line.
>>The way I was thinking was that if a document is generated for use
>>outside the Forrest environment then it should go into this "output"
>>directory you are proposing (i.e. static pages and war file). This will
>>mean there is only one directory to copy, no need to "learn" which one.
>

> I see a problem there because you'd mix log files from dynamic serving
> with static output. But we could have the log files remain in the
> serverspace and perhaps later on find a cocoon way of serving them as
> part of the active site.

Exactly, that is my point. I do not believe the log files should be
moved out of the build directory.

>>If we should move those as well, then what about the plugin
>>stuff?
>

> Wouldn't it make sense to have the plugins stored in resources? If not
> I think they'd be tmp or part of the serverspace.

Where is this "resources"?

What is the "serverspace"? There are three distinct options in running a
server:

1 - host the static site in a web server (no plugins required)
2 - host dynamically in a forrest server (plugins are in the Forrest webapp)
3 - host dynamically in some other servlet container (plugins are a part
of the war)

>>By the time we have moved webapp and the plugin stuff there isn't
>>really much left in build. Which then begs the question do we need it?
>

> Right. I do want to get rid of it because of the naming overlap wih
> building the programm.

I'm not convinced. The files that are built with forrest are required by
a dynamically served site. Therefore there is no distinction between the
forrest appication and a site hosted in the forrest appication.

There is a danger of confusing things by creating too many places a file
may logically be located.

Ross