forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Forrest Terminology
Date Wed, 11 May 2005 09:26:22 GMT
Ferdinand Soethe wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
>
> RG> Ferdinand Soethe wrote:
>
>>>So how about renaming the command line options as follows
>>>(alternatives in order of decreasing preference)
>>>
>>>        rename          to be
>>>
>>>        forrest site => forrest mksite
>>>                        forrest static
>>>                        forrest makestatic
>

> RG> It's worth reminding ourselves of why Ferdinand feels this renaming is
> RG> important. He points out that some users are using Forrest to generate
> RG> stuff other than web sites, so "site" can be misleading. This is true
> RG> for much of my own work where I am building Learning Objects.
>
> That's true (even though I didn't say that :-)). My reason is to
> clarify what these command will actually do, avoid overlapping meanings
> with building and compiling the forrest program itself or generic
> terms like run.

Oooops, sorry I was obviously in my own little world last night.

> RG> -1 on serve (serve is an adjective)
>
> It is a verb isn't it? What's wrong about using a verb to
> start an ongoing process. 'Run' is a verb too isn't it?

Errr.. yes, it is a verb... nothing wrong with a verb, errr... it was
late... errr... I'd had a very large Whiskey.... errrr... I was looking
for a reason I didn't like it, errrr.... I'd also invented my own
language to go into my own little world.

Sorry.

(I still don't like it though, not sure why, it just doesn't "feel" right)

> RG> I am happy with "run", nevertheless, since I am mostly against
>
> run is my worst nightmare because it creates the fatal double meaning
> 'run forrest' / 'forrest run' (see my original posting)

OK, I'm not objecting to a change, just stating I've grown comfortable
with it. I do aknowledge your point and will not stand in your way.

> RG> forrest servlet
>
> Fine by me. Although many non-technical users probably don't know what
> a 'servlet' is. But certainly better than 'run'

Just a suggestion since I was negative about your own suggestions. Call
it brainstorming to keep us moving.

> RG> I'm +1 one on splitting the stuff generated by building the Forrest
> RG> application and the stuff generated by "forrest site" (or whatever it
> RG> may become).
>
> OK, I wasn't sure if tmp and webapp are used by the servlet
> exclusively. Is so, sure leavem them in one dir and call it something
> other than 'build'

I'll respond to this in a different thread.

Ross