forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Forrest Terminology
Date Tue, 10 May 2005 21:55:21 GMT
Ferdinand Soethe wrote:

> So how about renaming the command line options as follows
> (alternatives in order of decreasing preference)
>
>         rename          to be
>
>         forrest site => forrest mksite
>                         forrest static
>                         forrest makestatic

-1 on mksite (I don't like accronyms in commands)
+0 on static (I'm not +1 since I have no problem with site, but I'll not
object if others like this)
-0.5 on makestatic (as above, but I prefer static)

It's worth reminding ourselves of why Ferdinand feels this renaming is
important. He points out that some users are using Forrest to generate
stuff other than web sites, so "site" can be misleading. This is true
for much of my own work where I am building Learning Objects.

>         forrest run  => forrest serve
>                         forrest server
>                         forrest dynamic

-1 on serve (serve is an adjective)
-1 on server (too generic)
-0.5 on dynamic (it doesn't say what it does)

I am happy with "run", nevertheless, since I am mostly against
Ferdinands suggestions I'll make another proposal to see if it suits our
needs:

forrest servlet

> Renaming the 'build' directory is difficult because of it's mixed use,
> but I'd still suggest naming it 'output' to avoid confusion with the
> software build and because this is much easier for non programmers to
> understand.

> Even better would be to split build into the functional units, move
> its three sub directories up and name them
>
>         'tmp' (as before),
>         'staticsite' (instead of 'site') and
>         'serverworkspace' (instead of 'webapp').

I'm +1 one on splitting the stuff generated by building the Forrest
application and the stuff generated by "forrest site" (or whatever it
may become). But I don't see the need to go further and have all these
different directories. To me webapp and tmp both belong in build since
they are only of interest to forrest itself, not to the end user.

The static contents should go into another directory, as should the war
file if generated for remote hosting.

I'm not sure about "output", but I have no better suggestions at present.

Ross