forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: whitespace changes (Was: svn commit: r167890)
Date Thu, 05 May 2005 19:41:27 GMT
Ferdinand Soethe wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
>
> DC> If people want to do many whitespace changes, then please
> DC> try to keep them as separate commits to real content changes.
> DC> Committers have a duty to monitor the commits. When the
> DC> changes are mixed with whitespace changes, it is very
> DC> difficult to see what changed.
>
> Sorry about that.
>
> Actually I didn't really want to change other whitespace. I just had
> Oxygen re-format the XML with 2 space indents (which I thought was the
> rule).
>
> Any suggestions how to set the Oxygen so that it is in sync what
> everybody else uses.

There are only guidelines, not rules. The best thing to do is to turn
off all auto formating, ensure your editor uses spaces not tabs and edit
files in the same style that they already exists.

I struggled with this myself for a while as I was used to working in
teams with a clear set of rules. However, it seems Open Source never
works this way because of the range of tools, preffered styles,
operating systems etc.

Ross