forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Where to change comments to configuration files
Date Tue, 03 May 2005 07:42:34 GMT
Ferdinand Soethe wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
>
> RG> Best to change it in all occurances of the file as people could look at
> RG> any of the official Apache docs for guidance.
>
> Added info to files in fresh-site and site author. I'd rather not
> do this in the future but instead prefer for us to agree that we will
> maintain the 'nice' documented version of files in fresh site since
> doing everything twice seems such a waste of time.

With search and replace across multiple files it's easy, as long as we
ensure that the text in each file is identical (which it will be if we
use search and replace tools).

However, I do agree that there is an overhead here.

> RG> As I mentioned on the user list - be sure to add info abot how to change
> RG> this behaviour too. This is not a limitation that is rigid. in design.
>
> Have not added this to the comment for now because there seems to be
> no easy answer to the point where it is in fact rigid. I'll attach
> more info on that to the relevant thread.

I'm -1 on the current comment as it gives the impression that it *can't*
be changed. This is bad. If someone needs to change it and they read
that comment then they will not bother to search the docs/ask on the
mailing lists.

In my opinion it's better to have something undocumented (and therefore
prompt questions) than to have it incorrectly documented.

Ross