forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Why are navigational element are not static when scrolling long pages?
Date Tue, 03 May 2005 07:18:30 GMT
Ferdinand Soethe wrote:
> My point:
>
> Making use of the only purpose we came up with for the current
> mechanism (being able to have menus longer than the page) will create
> an extremely user-unfriedly page because opening a menu item at the
> bottom of such a menu
>
> - requires the user to
>   scroll the page (not really menu-like and a drag to do)
>
> - and will scroll the tab bar out of sight if he does
>
> So to get an idea of the content of a complete site (by browsing menus
> and tabs) requires constant change between clicking and scrolling
> action.
>
> Conclusion:
>
> I see this as a very strong reason to change the default in pelt so
> that header and menu remain in place when you scroll content (and make
> the current setting an option).

Such a change will have to be taken to a vote since it will affect a
great many users when they upgrade. However, adding a configuration
option allowing it to be turned on would not need a vote. But a vote
would be meaningless unless someone finds a solution that is cross
browser compatible.

I'd suggest finding the solution, adding it as a configuration option
and then, if you still want to, take it to a vote to make it the default.

> In a second step enhance the menueing system so support column breaks
> or perhaps even break automatically when the number of items doesn't
> fit on the screen.

Again, if you find a way of doing this in a cross-browser compatible way
I'd be all for it. Sounds tough to me though.

Ross