forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Johannes Schaefer <johannes.schae...@uidesign.de>
Subject Re: [RT] Serving Apache Forrest site from live Forrest
Date Tue, 03 May 2005 07:11:08 GMT

Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> One thing I like about Forrest is that it's not only a static site
> generation engine, but it's capable of serving the site live. Changes
> are instantaneous, bandwith is perserved, and dynamic content can be
> employed.
>
> IMHO every Apache project that produces something it can use for itself
> *should* actually use it, like HTTPD does. This gives the team something
> to work collectively on, and a base that keeps the project adherent to
> actual needs.
>
> IOW, I would like to see the Forrest website served of a live Forrest
> instance.
>
> To do this, even before talking about logistics and permissions, we have
> to be sure that it's not going to cause problems, even in high load, and
> be able to administer it.
> Before we can seriously start to consider using it live, we should at
> least have the following:
>
> 1 - knowledge of the memory it's going to need and use
> 2 - have no known memory leakage (to be tested)
> 3 - have caching turned on
> 4 - know what to do when upgrading the version
> 5 - decide where it's going to get the site from
> 6 - other?
>
> After that, it would be beneficial to be able to serve multiple sites on
> a single Forrest instance, so that we can have other projects join and
> have their site served.

This last point (seving multiple "sites" from one Forrest
instance) is important even without moving Forrest to a
live server (I'm +1 on this).

Right now we have various styleguides in Forrest and if
I need to run them at once I have to start Forrest/jetty
with different ports.

Opened a feature request for this, to not clutter
this thread:
   http://issues.cocoondev.org/browse/FOR-490

Cheers
Johannes

> Thoughts, comments, opinions?

Ludwigsburg
Fon +49 (0)7141 377 000 * Fax  +49 (0)7141 377 00-99
Lehrer-Götz-Weg 11 * D-81825 München
www.uidesign.de

Burmester
www.user-interface-tuning.de