forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Forrest sites google ranking
Date Tue, 10 May 2005 13:24:35 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> >Ross Gardler wrote:
> >
> >>I think we need to change the website so that we have an index.html page
> >>that is consitent through all releases. However, I do not claim to fully
> >>understand the Google ranking algorithm, so please correct me if I am
> >>wrong.
> >
> >I wonder if we just need to use "AliasMatch" directives
> >for apache httpd rather than the RedirectMatch that we are
> >currently using.
>
> I'm no httpd whizz, nor google whizz for that matter, but if the
> AliasMatch means that the URL still appears, in the client, as
> http://forrest.apache.org then I think this will work.

No expert either, but i have found a better way.

That httpd config change is not under our control, so we need to
send a patch to ASF infra every time we want to change something.
That would introduce a delay at release time. Also infra is asking
the PMCs to do as much work as possible.

Instead i have used a different mechanism. On the server there is now
a 'svn co' of the 0.6 docs into the top-level of our website.
When it comes time for the 0.7 release, we just need to remove them
and checkout the 0.7 docs in their place.

There are separate 'svn co' of each set of docs at /0.6/ and /0.7/

Sorry for wrecking our Google rank.

--David