forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <>
Subject Re: SVN Inconsitent Line Endings
Date Sun, 08 May 2005 04:22:50 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> >Ross Gardler wrote:

> >>I had also assumed that, however it turns our to be incorrect.
> >>
> >>In fact doing "forrest site" on any site, including site-author, results
> >>in the same error.
> >>
> >>I can only assume that it has not raised it's head before because I have
> >>not been the first person to commit generated sites to SVN with the eol
> >>settings set to "native".
> >
> >Sorry, i can't parse that. Too many "nots". :-)
> >
> >All text files should have line-endings appropriate for the local system
> >OS and should always be 'svn propset svn:eol-style native'.
> Sorry, I'll try again, but I'll try by asking a couple of questions
> rather than stating what I think the problem might be.

I am finally beginning to understand what your issues are.
I thought you just had a problem with mixed line-endings,
but it sounds a bigger problem and perhaps separate issues.

> Has anyone built a site using Forrest on Windows and then been the first
> to commit it to SVN?
> Do we know for sure that the Ant SVN tasks pick up the SVN config info?

I just reviewed our SVN forrest/site/0.7/docs/plugins/
and found that there are files with *.rss and *.pod
which are missing the 'svn:eol-style native'. So perhaps
your ~/.subversion/config is out-of-date.

To test if the Ant task gets the new config,
try 'svn rm' one of the plugins and re-add it.

Those *.rss and *.pod are also not handled by the workaround
below. However, they don't need to be, because there are no
mixed line-endings in those (no xml comments either).

> >>Given the above observation that the XSL generated comments ahve
> >>different line endings to other XSL generated files I can only assume it
> >>is something to do with the XSLT parser.
> >
> >What happens when you do a simple test with Xalan on the commandline.
> Not sure, I'll do that soon.
> >>For now I have put a workaround in place in the buildfile (uses an ant
> >>task to fix the line endings). I'll also place an issue on the issue
> >>tracker to remind us of this.
> >
> >I saw that. However i couldn't understand why it was converting
> >them to UNIX line-endings regardless of which OS the user is on.
> >Do we need to detect the OS?
> I converted to UNIX more out of habit than design. But it works for me
> and I'm on Windows so I'm happy.

My comment was more an SVN-based one:
"eol-style native" means native to the user's OS.

> >I have not heard of this problem before. At Cocoon and Incubator,
> >people on various operating systems generate the website and commit
> >the result to SVN, with no problems.
> Yes, but they don't do what we are doing with docs generated by Forrest
> and then imported into SVN by ant tasks.

Now i understand the issue a bit more. Sorry, i must have
missed something earlier in the thread.

I don't know if this is related, but thanks Google and
"line endings" "xsl:comment" ...
"<xsl:copy> introduces inappropriate line-end characters processing comments".

View raw message