forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ferdinand Soethe <samm...@soethe.net>
Subject Re: Inkonsistency in implementation of default file and site.xml and what to do about it
Date Tue, 03 May 2005 09:23:38 GMT

Ross Gardler wrote:

RG> Good point, but this need not be changed unless you want to change the
RG> default in every page. One of your use cases was that a non-English site
RG> might not want to use index.html, if this were the case then that would
RG> be the case for *every* directory wouldn't it?

No, it wouldn't. One common way to make sure a dummy user will find
and open the right file to start is to give it a unique and self
explaining name such as 'start_by_opening_this_file.html'.

To have that name repeated in every directory might work because
people tend not to go deeper down the directory tree than they have to
but it is certainly not intended.

>>>Also from sitemap.xmap:
>>>
>>>       <map:match pattern="">
>>>         <map:redirect-to uri="index.html" />
>>>       </map:match>
>>>       <map:match type="regexp" pattern="^.+/$">
>>>           <map:redirect-to uri="index.html"/>
>>>       </map:match>
>>

>> This is more promising since pattern="" will only apply to
>> http://myserver and not to http://myserver/mydir (I think).

RG> Correct

>> Problem is the second pattern for stepping back up directories by
>> entering a '..'-URI. It would have to be replaced by two different
>> patterns for first level subdirs (use same setting as pattern="") and
>> other levels (keep index.html).

RG> That's not what the second pattern means.

Never draw conclusions in the middle of the night :-)
Thanks for explaining that.

RG> This will result in the site index page becoming "start-here.html" but
RG> all subdirectories defaulting to index.html.

>> None of this is nice or easy to do or explain.

RG> Is it easier now I have explained it more completely?

It is. Thanks for taking the time. Will try to put that into a short
comment and a longer faq.

--
Ferdinand Soethe