forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Presnell <presn...@stat.ufl.edu>
Subject Re: describe Forrest in 50 words
Date Wed, 20 Apr 2005 19:25:57 GMT

Ross Gardler <rgardler@apache.org> writes:

> Apache Forrest is a standards-based documentation framework based
> on Apache Cocoon. Forrest emphasizes separation of presentation
> and content through a plugin architecture for transforming and
> aggregating a variety of input sources into one or more output
> formats. This enables Forrest to create a unified document collection
> that can be hosted dynamically or generated from the command-line and
> deployed with an automated robot.

Getting better, but I don't like the last sentence because it sounds
like a document collection generated from the command line would be
deployed with an automated robot, and I think you mean this the other
way around (it has been a while since I was messing with forrest, but
I assume the robot you have in mind is tomcat).  How about this (still
62 words)?:

  Apache Forrest is a standards-based documentation framework based on
  Apache Cocoon. Forrest emphasizes separation of presentation and
  content through a plugin architecture for transforming and
  aggregating a variety of input sources into one or more output
  formats.  This enables Forrest to create a unified document
  collection that can be generated from the command-line or hosted
  dynamically and deployed with an automated robot.

Actually, I'm not sure that most potential users having a first look
at forrest would know what you mean by "robot", and they might even
find it off-putting.  It's ok, but is there some other word that would
be less mysterious and still serve the purpose?

Anyway, I'll probably check out now.  Good luck, and thanks to all of
you for your work on forrest.

--
Brett Presnell
Department of Statistics

"We don't think that the popularity of an error makes it the truth."
   -- Richard Stallman