forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Presnell <presn...@stat.ufl.edu>
Subject Re: describe Forrest in 50 words
Date Wed, 20 Apr 2005 20:27:03 GMT
Ross Gardler <rgardler@apache.org> writes:

>>>Apache Forrest is a standards-based documentation framework based
>>>on Apache Cocoon. Forrest emphasizes separation of presentation
>>>and content through a plugin architecture for transforming and
>>>aggregating a variety of input sources into one or more output
>>>formats. This enables Forrest to create a unified document collection
>>>that can be hosted dynamically or generated from the command-line and
>>>deployed with an automated robot.
>> Getting better, but I don't like the last sentence because it sounds
>> like a document collection generated from the command line would be
>> deployed with an automated robot, and I think you mean this the other
>> way around
>
> Nope, that is exactly what I mean. See
> http://forrest.apache.org/proposal-asf-forrestbot.html (we have
> documentation on teh forrestbot but it seems to have disppeared from
> the website in our recent reogranisation).

Hmmm, so robot != tomcat after all, and instead robot == forrestbot?

In my own usage I was using forrest with tomcat for development, but
for deployment I would generate a static version, and so I identified
"generated from the command-line" with static.  Forrestbot never
really entered my conciousness.

But, considering my usage as an example, isn't it true that the robot
is a somewhat separate issue from static versus dynamic.  The current
wording makes it sound like the only options are dynamically hosted or
deployed with a robot.  I think that's what was indirectly causing my
confusion, since I knew there was another possibility.

--
Brett Presnell
Department of Statistics

"We don't think that the popularity of an error makes it the truth."
   -- Richard Stallman