forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@saafe.org>
Subject Is OOo license compatible with ASL?
Date Fri, 29 Apr 2005 16:44:48 GMT
I've just completed the first draft of a MSOffice plugin that uses the
OpenOffice.org plugin and a running instance of OOo to convert MSOffice
files on the fly.

Before I commit it to our Whiteboard I need to know if the OOo license
is compatible with the ASL because it requires the bundling of a few JAR
files from OOo.

Here's what I see:

Dual licensed under the LGPL (not compatible) and the Sun Industry
Standards Source License (SISSL), so we are considering the SISSL.

 From http://www.openoffice.org/FAQs/faq-licensing.html#1

"This licensing structure provides the necessary flexibility for
combination of OpenOffice.org technologies with projects using other
licenses (e.g. MPL, Apache, Artistic, etc.)."

Would seem to imply that things are OK, but I'm no lawyer so reading the
license just confuses me. For the legal stuff see:

http://www.openoffice.org/license.html

Ross