forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Johannes Schaefer <johannes.schae...@uidesign.de>
Subject Re: Why are navigational element are not static when scrolling long pages?
Date Thu, 28 Apr 2005 13:05:25 GMT

Ross Gardler wrote:
> Ferdinand Soethe wrote:
>
>> Using
>>
>> I played a bit with the CSS (see
>> http://forrest.apache.org/0.7/docs/howto/howto-editcss.html) and found
>> that replacing
>

> ..
>
>> #menu {
>>     position: fixed;
>>     float: left;
>>     width: 160px;
>>     padding-top: 0px;
>>     top:140px;
>>     left:10px;
>>     z-index: 20;
>>     background-color: #f90;
>>     font-size : 70%;
>> }
>>
>> Of course, of nothing else is done, it will become a tear-off menu.
>

> Fixed menus only work if the menu is short. If it is reasonably long
> then the bottom of the menu can become inaccessible on a screen too
> small to show the full menu.
>
> I would therefore be -1 on such a solution being the default behaviour.

I agree with Ross. This should be an option.

What helped for us was also a "back to the top" link
after each section.

Pages that become long and hence unreadable and/or
unnavigatable may be considered too long and are
worth considering a rework. I know this is not
always possible. Here we have a clash of interests,
too: publishing for the web (users don't read, see
http://www.useit.com/alertbox/9710a.html) and for
print. We experience this with our styleguides.

Cheers,
Johannes

 > I'd suggest that this would be best placed in a FAQ entry
 > (we would use extra-css in skinconf to add the necessary
 > CSS settings.
>
> Ross

Ludwigsburg
Fon +49 (0)7141 377 000 * Fax  +49 (0)7141 377 00-99
Lehrer-Götz-Weg 11 * D-81825 München
www.uidesign.de

Burmester
www.user-interface-tuning.de