forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Johannes Schaefer <johannes.schae...@uidesign.de>
Subject Re: describe Forrest in 50 words
Date Thu, 28 Apr 2005 11:10:47 GMT

Ross Gardler wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
>
>> Johannes Schaefer wrote:
>>
>>> Now that David gave the last version,
>>> I'll try to comment ... also dared a look
>>> into the archive.
>>>
>>> HERE'S MY TRY:
>>> Apache Forrest is a publishing framework that accepts
>>> various input sources and transforms them into a unified
>>> document collection strictly separating content and
>>> presentation.
>>> It is standards-based, employing Apache Cocoon and
>>> a plugin architecture which makes it modular and
>>> extensible.
>>> Forrest can be used as a dynamic application,
>>> to generate a static result or completely automated.

>> Brilliant work. I would only tweak the last sentence
>> to have better words than "static result" and the
>> "completely automated" seems to lose some of the meaning.
>

> I agree (sorry little time at present so I can't make a suggestion).
>
>> What do others think? I reckon that we are getting close.
>

> Minor point:
>
> I read that the *output* strictly separates content from presentation,
> thereby implying that the *input* does not. Whilst some input formats
> blur this distinction (like OOo and MS Office for example) I'm not sure
> we can claim to take a horrible mess of an input document and create a
> nicely separated output.

fast as well: I meant the separation of concerns for
the *framework*, not only the *output*.  Maybe some commas
would help (relative clause from "that" to "collection")?
Or like this:
 >>>Apache Forrest is a publishing framework <snip> strictly
 >>>separating content and presentation.
It accepts
 >>> various input sources and transforms them into a unified
 >>> document collection.

This is where my English fails :-(

js

> Ross

Ludwigsburg
Fon +49 (0)7141 377 000 * Fax  +49 (0)7141 377 00-99
Lehrer-Götz-Weg 11 * D-81825 München
www.uidesign.de

Burmester
www.user-interface-tuning.de