forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: describe Forrest in 50 words
Date Thu, 28 Apr 2005 10:54:44 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> Johannes Schaefer wrote:
>
>>Now that David gave the last version,
>>I'll try to comment ... also dared a look
>>into the archive.
>>
>>HERE'S MY TRY:
>>Apache Forrest is a publishing framework that accepts
>>various input sources and transforms them into a unified
>>document collection strictly separating content and
>>presentation.
>>It is standards-based, employing Apache Cocoon and
>>a plugin architecture which makes it modular and
>>extensible.
>>Forrest can be used as a dynamic application,
>>to generate a static result or completely automated.

> Brilliant work. I would only tweak the last sentence
> to have better words than "static result" and the
> "completely automated" seems to lose some of the meaning.

I agree (sorry little time at present so I can't make a suggestion).

> What do others think? I reckon that we are getting close.

Minor point:

I read that the *output* strictly separates content from presentation,
thereby implying that the *input* does not. Whilst some input formats
blur this distinction (like OOo and MS Office for example) I'm not sure
we can claim to take a horrible mess of an input document and create a
nicely separated output.

Ross