forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject The Apache Way (Re: describe Forrest in 50 words)
Date Thu, 28 Apr 2005 10:53:42 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> Ferdinand Soethe wrote:
>
>>David Crossley wrote:
>>
>>DC> I am saying that decisions should be reached
>>DC> through consensus rather than competition.
>>
>>DC> In this case, it would be better to evolve the
>>DC> Forrest description until it is suitable.
>>
>>I can see what David is saying. Though it wouldn't hurt if more people
>>voiced an opinion and stated which text we should continue refining.
>>Or - like David - proposed another version to discuss.

Since we have a number of new developers arriving perhaps those new to
the Apache Way would like to read:

Consensus Gauging through Voting:

Which states in the introduction:

There are essentially three types of vote:

    1. Code modifications,
    2. Package releases
    3. Procedural

(note there is nothing there about decision making)

You may also be interested in this blog post and those linked from it:

http://blog.generationjava.com/roller/page/bayard/20050319#apache_meritocracy_consensus_and_despotism

http://www.anyware-tech.com/blogs/sylvain/archives/000172.html

and

http://www.jroller.com/page/rgardler/20050324#effective_decision_making_in_community

(which all say much the same thing but all come from slightly different
angles)

---

I wounder if we should put some/all of these links into one of our mail
templates for inviting/accepting a new committer?

Ross