forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Plugin] PDA or Sidebar output plugin ?
Date Thu, 28 Apr 2005 10:53:12 GMT
Ferdinand Soethe wrote:
> I think it would be great to have optional support for advanced
> features of smarter browsers. Though that means you would have to
> support several access options (smart and dumb) for the same browser.
> I guess this is what views are all about?!
>
> David Crossley wrote:
>
> DC> I don't understand your intention, so this comment
> DC> might be off-track ...
>
> My understanding of this is that a couple of browsers like Firefox and
> Mozilla support a sidebar (second pane) that can be used for having a
> second permanent window area to support all kinds of extra info
> see http://www.granneman.com/webdev/browsers/mozillafirefoxnetscape/sidebars.htm.
>
> So in order to support this in a useful way, all navigational elements
> would need to be moved to a second set of sidebar pages while header
> stuff like Logos etc would still be needed at the top (which might be
> different for PDAs).

I wouldn't put navigation in the side bar, that is not really what it is
for. It is intended to be used for additional information relevant to
the web page currently being viewed, not for content that is a part of
the page. The user has full control over when a side bar is viewed and
therefore if you put something critical to your page in there (like
navigation) your page may appear broken to the user.

At least that's my opinion.

However, a view for PDA's would be great!

Ross