forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Daisy plugin
Date Tue, 26 Apr 2005 21:29:30 GMT
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-04-26 at 16:46 +0100, Ross Gardler wrote:
>
>>Thorsten Scherler wrote:
>>
>>>Hello Ross,
>>>
>>>I just had a quick look on the daisy plugin.
>>>
>>><map:generate type="html"
>>>src="http://{1}:{2}/{3}/{4}?navigationType=none" />
>>>
>>>How you make the auth to this url?
>>
>>I don't understand the question.
>

> Sorry!
>
> In lenya all urls are controlled by an access control (ac) list. The
> above match would in lenya only work for certain urls that do not have
> an ac. I assume that Daisy has as well something like an ac.
>
> The question is ┬┐how can I start a session with forrest to e.g. Daisy
> where authentication is necessary?

OK, now I understand.

Currently the Daisy plugin does not support the authentication in Daisy
Wiki, it assumes that the document is publically available. To be honest
I have not looked at how it is done via the http interface to the daisy
wiki.

The big advantage of Daisy over other CMS systems is that it compeltely
separates the front end from the repository. The access control is done
in the repository. However at present, for simplicity, the plugin uses
the daisy-wiki interface to retrieve pages.

A future version will add the ability to connect directly to the
reposiitory via one of the API's (choose from Java, HTTP or Javascript).
This will give us much more flexability with respect to the handling of
access control and the structure of the documents.

In other words, the current solution is a quick fix and does not allow
the retrieval of documents that are not publically available.

If you need this feature for your work then lets agree on how these
parameters will be passed to Forrest. I think we should aim to have a
single method for retrieving documents from a repository, regardless of
it's implementation.

I would suggest that, in the first instance, we add two more parameters
to the request URI:

repositoryUsername
repositoryPassword

In a later version I intend to use the locationmap to resolve the
Forrest URI to the repository URI and therefore we would no longer need
all the request parameters. The username and password details would
therefore be available within the locationmap. But that is for later.

Ross