forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: describe Forrest in 50 words
Date Thu, 21 Apr 2005 12:17:01 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> Taking the comments into account, we now have this ...
>
> --------
> Apache Forrest is a standards-based documentation framework
> which uses Apache Cocoon. Forrest emphasises separation of
> presentation and content, using a plugin architecture to
> transform and aggregate various input sources into various
> output formats. This creates a unified document collection
> that can either be used as a dynamic application, or generated
> at the command-line, or generated and deployed with an automated
> publishing application.
> --------
>
> The main things that are lost from previous versions are:
>
> *) The phrase "xml standards". Not so bad because surely
> people would expect everything to be based on xml.
> However, it was good fodder for search engines.

I'm OK with this. XML standards is such a general term that I doubt it
will bring too many visitors. Besides it can always be put in the
keywords for the index page.

> *) The concept of a "unified document structure and design
> at the output stage" which implied consistent and easy
> generation/skinning of output formats.

I'm comfortable with this too. As you say this was an implied rather
than explicit interpretation. I don't think we have lost much explicit
content with the above use of "unified document collection".

+1 to this one, but...

Juan Jose Pablos also suggests (with my minor grammar edits):

Apache Forrest is a standards-based documentation framework based
on Apache Cocoon. Forrest emphasizes separation of presentation
and content through a plugin architecture. This architecture transforms
a variety of input sources into one or more output formats, thus
enabling a unified document collection that can be hosted dynamically,
generated from the command-line or deployed with an automated publishing
application.

I'm also +1 for this one.

Ross